Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Starbucks Philosophy

***I actually wrote this from the hospital on Feb. 11, 2009. I am home now and doing well. Hope you all enjoy.***


After having much time to ponder on all the greatness of life and wonders of our nation, I have decided that they can all be summed up with one word...Starbucks.
We are such an insanely Starbucks driven society. The logo, smell, and taste has almost become a staple for us in our every day busy lives. I for one highly contribute to this madness. During my stay at UAB, I make many stops into the Starbucks located here in the hospital to retrieve what I like to call my "comfort in a cup". It wasn't until yesterday the whole Starbucks metephor came to mind. As I stopped in for my usual cup of wonder, I noticed right away something so familiar and so unbelievably overwhelming as soon as I walked through the door. The warm smell that filled my nose and in an instant I was carried back home. The thoughts of holiday shopping, running daily errands and weekly worship flooded my mind at once. I walked over to the counter and began to place my order, "tall caramel mocha, with both caramel and mocha drizzle". As I stood and waited for my greatness to reach me, more thoughts began to flood my mind. I began to watch those around me and took in their little coffee house experience as well. You could see them coming, nurses, doctors, patients, and visitors, running towards the door, they too brought their hurried stride down to a calmer more focused walk as soon as they come under the frame of the doors. It was almost as if a spell so heavily sedated in magic had overcome them instantly. It seemed our surroundings were hypnotizing us all. The jazz music coming from up above, the lights setting an amber glow across the shop, and then of course the wonderful amazing smell of warm coffee. Each detail taking us back to a wonderful memory, bringing us back time and time again to...... Starbucks. Those wonderful memories we wanted so desperately to cling to. Truly that is how life is. It is almost as if we never completely have new experiences, for every "new" experience is bathed in past experiences. It is how we judge situations and learn what we enjoy and come to know what we truly love the most. It is amazing the knowledge you discover when you just sit still and take in every single thing around you. When you allow yourself to become a live wire and just let life move
through you. To think of all the undiscovered philosophical ideas that still await us and can be found in such a place as Starbucks.
As I let these new findings sink in today I thank God for giving me the ability to go through this life with my eyes wide open. I wouldn't want to miss one detail of this beautiful disaster we are living in.

1 comment:

  1. I hear you, girl! Well stated....and with a Starbucks in hand, it's easy to go through life with eyes wide open!!!

    Love you!!

    ReplyDelete